Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Now that I've survived...

Halloween is over. In case you hadn't noticed.

I've been thinking about it though. I loooove Halloween. I always have. My mom can not stand it. Hates it. For no reason, she just does. She isn't overly religious so that's not why. She just doesn't like it, at all.

On the way home Saturday we drove through a small town near our even smaller town. There were about 6 people holding signs on the side of the road. The signs included...Fall Festivals are a compromise to Satan and my personal favorite Jesus Vomits Lukewarm Christians (how's that for a visual). I can understand people not wanting to participate in Halloween. If it's not your thing, then don't. What I don't understand is the interest in the last few years on whole heartedly bashing those of us who enjoy it.

A number of the churches here are vehemently against Halloween. It encourages a curiosity in witchcraft etc. Now, y'all, there ain't exactly a burgeoning coven that I'm aware of here in town. I could be wrong though. I understand that Halloween tends to bring out the idiot in some people (like the kids that superglued the locks at the high school last night). But some of my most vivid memories are Halloween related. I was the best Wonder Women EVER! AND the best Princess Barbie EVER. Thank you very much.

The lady who made popcorn balls and candied apples was always our first stop. (did everyone have that lady in their town?) She put them on her pool table and would let you pick your own. Y'all I've been to the Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I've seen sunsets and rainbows. I've seen new born babies and new brides. I have seen the fall leaves in all their glory. Y'all get the point. But I have yet to see anything as beautiful as that lady's pool table on Halloween. She turned out the room lights and left the light over the pool table on. Those treats were illuminated from above. Almost, I dare say, a heavenly light.

Halloween will never be about evil to me. It will always be princesses and Wonder Woman. Witches yes, but extremely cute and sweet ones. Or sexy as I've gotten older. Halloween will always be that excitement I felt when we turned up the drive of the pool table house. Snickers bars, peanut butter cups, Halloween carnivals and cake walks. That's Halloween.

1 comment:

Dominique said...

Ahhhh, I remember those days! How I miss them too! The Queen's trick-or-treating gig at the school was awesome since we knew everyone and no one had to worry. But! The actual "on Halloween" thing in the neighborhood... not my idea of a great time anymore. Although, there was that SUPER FABULOUS family a block away from our house that gave us parents a coctail to take with us on our journey. Now THAT'S trick-or-treating!