Saturday, November 05, 2005

Friday Night Cruelty

This has been a weird week that culminated in meanness last night. Maybe it's Halloween. I may be a tad verbose, so if you're in a hurry-skip me.

Tuesday morning the high school principal arrived to find the square TP'd,a picnic table in the tree in the center of the square and every lock on every door...super glued. He had to climb into a window to get into the school. I am a horrible person, but I secretly laughed. Out loud.

They managed to bully and threaten the student body into coughing up some names and eventually 4 boys came forward and confessed. I suspect that there are more boys involved, but these are the only 4 that will own up to it. The boys' parents are going to pay to replace the locks. Two of the boys were starters on the varsity football team and weren't allowed to play at the game Friday. They will also probably be required to attend alternative school for a looong time, in addition to regular school. So far, I have no objections. Here's the mean part...they (and their parents) were told that the boys could attend the football game, but would be required to sit on the opposing team's side. The administration said that our town didn't want or need them on our side. Two of the boys' mothers told me this. This same administration that last year allowed 4 boys who were arrested for shoplifting and drug possession on a Saturday night to PLAY the following Friday. Apparently "our town" has no problem with this type of activity, but pranks well that's another story. The same administration did nothing when 3 of the basketball girls placed 4 picnic tables on top of the canteen building damaging the roof. Inconsistent, don't you think.

Other meanness. The danceline. One of the danceline members' grandfather died Thursday(the funeral was this afternoon). At the pep rally the sponsor got onto the girl for using a flag that I made her for her birthday during the pep rally. (She also got onto our girls about 3 football games ago for cheering the team on, but I digress). The girl and her mom decided that she would dance at last night's game anyway. The mom thought it would be a good destraction and it was the last scheduled game. The mom checked the girl out at lunch to go to the funeral home and be with her family. The danceline captain decided to change the uniform that afternoon. She, nor the sponsor called the girl to let her know. She showed up in the wrong top. They live about 25 minutes from the school and had come straight from the funeral home. The sponsor jumped all over the child. Accused her of having an attitude and gave her a demerit. Nice, huh. The mom tried to talk to the sponsor and got yelled at and a finger shook in her face. This exchange occurred next to my car. I'm sure my jaw was in my lap. This same sponsor refused to allow two members to go to tutoring last week. I was present for that conversation as well.

Now the weirdness, I was reprimanded for NOT signing the permission slip I have previously ranted about. This remprimand came after I made the comment (AS I was signing the damned thing) that it was "the most on crack thing I've seen in awhile". I was a little sarcastic, but still I'm pretty sure that I'm not 6 anymore. Seriously, reprimanded. Told EXACTLY why it was necessary, ad nauseum.

And the football team got the crap kicked out of them. Friday night sucked.

4 comments:

Dominique said...

Damn. That was a bad day.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Hmmm...where to start...

The lock prank embarrassed the administration, so heads had to roll. The sitting with the other team thing was uncalled for--just don't let them attend, don't humiliate them.

At all of the schools I've worked at, it is WHO YOU ARE or WHO YOU KNOW that determines the punishment for stuff. School board connections mean they'll get out of it, but others won't.

Sounds like they planned the uniform switch to make a point. From the sound of that sponsor's behavior, it wouldn't surprise me if it was her idea.

The permission slip...that's all about liability, but we just require a note, or the parent to speak to the sponsor before taking the kid.

We've had coaches ejected from the game for mouthing officials with no repercussions, while others are in trouble for not letting certain (untalented) kids play enough. One sponsor turned the bus around, and took students to get tattoos on the way home from a StuCo conference. Nothing was done about that. That's the main problem I have with teaching. It's not the kids or the parents, it's the double standard.

Sorry to be so longwinded here.

Kim said...

Nique-
Thanks for the sympathy.

HillBilly Mom-
I agree, I think the boys that pulled the lock mess are being made examples. They were arrested today.
Our school system, unfortunately, also has a bit of reputation for the WHO YOU AREitis. However, in this case it isn't helping. Two of the boys are from prominent families and the other two are from very well-respected families. They are going to punished pretty severely.

Someone did make the point though-that you have to be 18 in the state of LA to buy 1 tube of Super Glue, much less 21 tubes. All of the boys are 17. Hmmmmmmmmm.

The sponsor's behavior-I could tell you things that would make your hair stand on end. It's pretty bad.

Permission slip- it is a liability thing here too. I just think it's funny that I DON'T have to sign one for Lullah to ride on the bus, but I DO have to sign one for her to ride with ME. It's a little mixed up.

I agree that the double standard is a bitter pill. I wish there was some sort of equity, but I'm afraid it just ain't.

The TATOOS- YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! I would kick some serious ass. (not that I mind tatoos-I have one myself)

Kim said...

Oh yeah, Hillbilly Mom,
Don't apologize for being longwinded. Have you read my last two posts?!?!? Succinct, I am not!