Monday, November 07, 2005

A day I'm GLAD is over.

Lullah called from school and asked me to come and pull her out of class because she needed to talk to me.

Apparently the danceline sponsor is blaming the uniform snafu on one of the team members and Lullah, absolving the captain of any responsibility in the matter. In addition, the captain found Lullah this morning wanting to know if Lullah had choreographed a pep rally dance. (Lullah is teaching the field dance that she choreographed already).

Now, Lullah had choreographed every field dance and pep rally dance except 2. That's out of 13 dances. We had previously went to the sponsor and discussed this issue and were told to let the captain "fall on her face" and for Lullah to NOT take care of anymore dances. A solution I DID NOT approve of at all. I found it pretty heartless.

This morning Lullah went to the sponsor to discuss the above issues and was told that she and the other girl WERE responsible for the uniform snafu because they had said ANYTHING at all about the tops. Further more, that if the captain told Lullah to take care of the dance then she (Lullah) would be required to do so or she would get demerits. And so, I got a phone call from a tearful Lullah.

I went to the school and Lullah told me the above tale. I took her and we went to the office and had a meeting with the Principal and the Assistant Principal. We discussed the above issues, plus a few more. I could tell you everything, but it's be about 6 pages long. Seriously. The least issue being EXTREME disorganization (we miss deadlines, camp clothes aren't ordered etc) to one of the worst being the sponsors outright lying to parents.

TheP and the AP were both extremely concerned and I honestly felt/feel that they are going to address the issues. They asked that I put my concerns in writing, which I have done.

As I was leaving, one of the other moms was waiting in the office. It was the mother of the other girl being blamed for the uniform mess. This girl is frequently singled out by the sponsor as the cause of pretty much anything that goes wrong with the squad.

As Lullah and I left the office, the sponsor was coming out of the teachers' lounge. I stopped her and VERY nicely (no REALLY, I was nice) told her that Lullah couldn't do the pep rally dance. She gave me a horrible look and said "It's not my problem anymore. This is my letter of resignation." And walked off.

The above mom called me after her meeting. Apparently the sponsor barged into the principal's office while the mom was talking to him and handed him the letter and stood there glaring at the mom while he read it.

I think the mom of the girl from my previous post also made a trip to the school today.

The sponsor called the squad to the foyer of the school and informed them of her resignation. She told them that this week things would remain the same, but after Thursday they do not have a sponsor. This is technically not true. The co-sponsor hasn't resigned. She was IMHO trying to make them feel bad. One of the girls asked why she was resigning and she said she couldn't say at this time because it might hurt someone's feelings. (Is this woman 2 years old?)

Y'all I'm at a loss. I truly did not envision this woman resigning. I felt like by taking my concerns to the administration (after I have discussed them with her at different times) that maybe some things would change. I NEVER seen this coming.

2 comments:

MamaKBear said...

Yeesh! I hope y'all are able to get things worked out soon! Lullah should not be responsible for the uniform fiasco, nor for choreographing all those dances!

I'm willing to bet this is something she USED to enjoy doing, but not so much anymore.

Kim said...

MamaK
Yeah, she would have given her left pinky toe to be on the squad. From about 4th grade when she realized there WAS such a thing until tryouts before her freshman year it was a constant dream of hers to be on the squad.
It's been very hard and sad to watch the transformation from that excited girl the night after first tryouts into the defeated girl I pick up from practice 4 days a week.

Hopefully, things will get better. I honestly think that they will.