Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Birth control woes...OR a ring-a-ding-ding.

I went on the pill at age 15. I remained on it until I got pregnant with Lullah. No one had bothered to school me to the fact that antibiotics pretty much make your BCPs about as effective as Tic-Tacs. But I digress.

In 1993 I began searching for an alternative method of birth control. I was getting lazy about taking my BCP at the same time every day. I occasionally missed pills. Waiting for my period was stress my broke 22 year old ass didn't need. So, after dismissing Norplant as an option and my MD poo-pooing my questions about IUDs, we settled on a new medication on the market. Depo-Provera. A shot. Every 3 months. That was something I could definitely do.

I LOOOVED Depo. It worked wonderful. I was a little nauseated the first 2 weeks after my initial injection, but that was it. Oh, and joy of all joys-NO period. I didn't have a period. EVER. Yay! I was very pleased with Depo.

I have remained on Depo except for 2 brief intervals. Both were caused by out of state moves. I wanted time to find a good gyno and so I briefly went back on the pill until I could do so.

Last January at my regular yearly lady visit, my gyno informs me that he'd like to take me off of Depo. Apparently it can cause irreversible osteoporosis. I had a bone scan done and things were pretty much ok, but he still wanted me off the shots. And so, once again I became a pill packing mamma.

Y'all I HATE birth control pills. I can't remember to take the damn things. When I do remember, I have to take 2, sometimes 3 at a time. Then of course I'm pukey. I hate the cutesy packaging. I hate the little tinfoil circle thing left after you push them out. I hate them. Hate them. Hate. Them. I just do.

Which brings me to yesterday. After, yet again,tensely waiting on my period to arrive. I was officially in search of a new method of birth control. Hooray.

I called the gyno office asking about a prescription for the BC patches. The nurse was very sweet but apparently, they will kill you. They have an increased incidence of blood clots. She suggested the new NuvaRing (the site has cutesy music, blech).

At this point, I'd try just about anything. I'm sick of waiting with bated breath for my period. I'm sick of the whole pill mess. So, after asking a few questions about it. I said ok. She said they'd call it in for me. ( I of course also checked out what info I could find on the internet)

Trip to the pharmacy to pick up my new NuvaRing. You could feel this semi-hard ring thing through the foil envelope. Weird. Get home, open sesame and there it is. The clear O-ring that caused the Challenger to explode. A clear, baby sized version of those stupid plastic bracelets I wore en masse in 8th grade. A small plastic shower curtain ring. Weird.

Read instructions. I have to say, I especially love the cartoon lady squatting, laying and standing with one leg precariously raised. I chose a cartoon lady to emulate (I won't tell which) and plunged forward. Pun intended. Weird.

So far so good. I was a little queasy within about an hour of placement, but that comes and goes. I figure that will eventually go away. But I'm hopeful. The nurse said I can manipulate my periods with the ring, so that I skip a period if I want. I plan on doing just that. Plus now I can make all sorts of Lord of the Rings references to freak out the H.

This is the thing.

First, I'd love to see the first memo regarding the ring. Did somebody say "hey, a plastic ring! I bet women would TOTALLY put a plastic ring in their vaginas?"

Second, the discussions about color had to be funny. You know some ass suggested pink. "Cuz girls like pink".

Third and this is my main point. Why in the hell did I have be the one to stick ANYTHING anywhere? It's a poor beaten dead horse, I know. But it pisses me off that the responsibility for birth control lands pretty much in my FEMALE lap. Don't get me wrong, the H has suggested and he will probably eventually have a vasectomy. But in the meantime, why do I have to put something in my body that puts me at risk for stroke, heart attack, blood clots and god knows what else?

Why is the only birth control option for men a condom? It ain't right. It just ain't right.

In my opinion when we talk about women's reproductive rights this is an issue we must address. You can't lay the entire responsibility for PREVENTING pregnancy in my lap and then tell me that if I screw up and don't prevent a pregnancy I have no more say in the matter.

I'm pro-choice. For a lot of reasons. The search for new birth control just reminded me of one of the reasons.

4 comments:

MamaKBear said...

This is an excellent post. My ex-best friend was on Depo for awhile and loved it too...especially the no periods part. She did the Norplant too...I forget why she quit using that.

As for the pill, I was on it back in high school...it was ok...I usually remembered to take them and I liked that I knew exactly when my period was gonna come, but I can see why you hate them!

NuvaRing is a new one...hope it works well for you!

I totally agree, it just ain't right that birth control more often than not falls to the woman to be responsible for...and I am pro-choice too.

Though, for me, I don't worry about birth control...been trying for like 12 years to get pregnant...apparently my body has it's own form of birth control, or else MrKB's does, I dunno.

Aisha T. said...

Great post. Before I read the whole thing, I was going to make the comment of Nuva Ring--I love it. (Mine's not pink--just clear.) I hate to be responsible for the birth control part but, I have to be on it regardless because my body goes wonky with the cycles if not. I've questioned before why it's women that have to put their bodies at risk but, until it's a risk for men to get pregnant, I'm still going to have to be responsible for birth control and still going to have to battle for my rights to access it, rights to pro-choice (avid pro-choicer here--am very prevention education orientated which falls under the same umbrella but, I think we should have options here--and not jump through hoops for them)

As for women's health altogether, the easy route is taken because I think men make the rules so far. Hysterectomies still abound, I haven't seen a male birth control pill, and working mothers have it diffiult to balance life and home.

Kim said...

Mine is clear too. I was being mean. You know some idiot suggested pink!

I get my panties in a bunch about abortion. Lullah wasn't planned so that is a pair of shoes I HAVE walked in. I had to make a choice. Abortion wasn't the right choice for me, but damned if I'm going to tell someone else what to do.

Dominique said...

My best friend uses the ring and loves it! Good luck! On the other hand my other friend was on Depo and her bone scan turned out to be HORRIBLE news for her so I'm glad to hear that you have changed. I, personally, have an IUD and I'm not sure I would give it up for the world. I HATED pills too and after gacking up The Queen we decided that the IUD was our best option. Dan immediately wanted the V and I wanted him to hold off just in case I ever lost my mind and decided on more grommits.
Just keep in mind, you have to do what's best for you and no one should say anything different!