Monday, November 28, 2005

A decision to make...

I have throughout my life been on and off various anti-depressant medications. Specifically zoloft, serzone and lexapro. Not at the same time. :-) At present I am unmedicated.

The first time I took an anti-depressant (zoloft) was sometime in the early 90's. I wasn't overly impressed with the results. I felt somewhat better, but I couldn't pinpoint that is was actually the medication. When I titrated off of it, I didn't notice it being gone. Of course, back then I was a bit of a mess all the time so how would I have known the difference. I just wasn't as sad as I had been.

The last time I was on medication was about a year ago. My depression seems to do that. It cycles. I'll feel ok for a year or so, then wham! Out of the blue, I don't. The last time I was beginning to have suicidal thoughts before I finally admitted I'd better do something. I'd been off any kind of medication for about 3 years at that point and I just didn't want to go back to a daily regimen again. I take daily medication for a hypothyroid and I have a terrible time remembering to take it, I didn't want to add another pill to forget.

About 2 months ago, I realized I wasn't feeling right. My mood was labile. I don't want to be around people (a sure sign-I love socializing). My insomnia is way worse than usual. All signs that the ship is arriving.

But, I just don't want to take anything. Partly because I'm lazy, partly because... well I just don't. I know it's crazy, but I want to just get better. I want to do it on my own. I want to just be...normal. I HATE taking medicine. Of any kind.

At any rate, I'm trying to decide whether to call the doc and get a new scrip for something. Or wait and hope it passes.

Damn it.

2 comments:

MamaKBear said...

I don't know much about this kinda thing...Sending a hug instead of advice that might be terribly wrong.
((((((KIM)))))))

Hope you get sorted out soon and feel better!

Kim said...

Thanks for the hug. I have no doubt that I will be good to go soon.

Unfortunately, depression runs rampant in my family. My mother, my grandmother (who was never treated) and quite a bit of my father's family (NONE of them will seek treatment).