Thursday, October 27, 2005

Tylenol Tales

My dad went to the MD last Friday am because his knee was bothering him (apparently had been for about a week). He had an inflamed ligament. No biggie, but it was hurting. The MD sent him home with some prescription Tylenol ( I assume Tylenol 3 -it's got codeine in it).

Dad calls this morning. He said he had been taking over the counter Tylenol since last week, 650 mg every 4 hours. Around the clock. Oh, my tale gets better.

Now, I had SPECIFICALLY told him last week at the football game DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL when you take tylenol. Twice, at least. He told me today that his knee is getting a little better. I asked if he had been drinking while he was taking the tylenol.

"No," says he.
"Well make sure you don't, it's dangerous" says I.
"Ok, I've just had a beer before bed that's all" says he.
"Um, Dad that's drinking"
"Well, it's just a couple of beers before bed" he explained.
*Note that the amount has increased
"Dad, you can't drink and take tylenol. Alcohol is excreted through your liver, so is TYLENOL!"I explained.
"Well, three or four beers won't hurt will it?"he asked.
*Once again, note that our amount has increased.

Now at this point I should let you know these bits of information.
1)My father graduated with honors from college.
(sooo, he isn't stupid!)
2)He once owned a liquor store.
(sooo, he know what alcohol IS)
3)He drinks approximately 3-4 Evan Williams and 7up cocktails per night prior to bed. This after going to the local bar and drinking beer(I'm guessing probably 3-6) every afternoon.
(So I guess 3 beers IS a major slow down in consumption.)

I did manage to not beat my head against the wall. I only hope that he ACTUALLY listened to me and doesn't continue to drink and take the damn tylenol. The man's poor liver has been abused enough. The conversation was actually a little longer than my retelling of it, but I honestly don't think he'll listen to me. I also had to explain that acetaminophen and tylenol are the SAME medication. I only HOPE that he hasn't been double dosing himself. Yikes!

1 comment:

Hillbilly Mom said...

Doesn't he watch ER? I think that's where I learned that tylenol & alcohol are not the liver's friend.