Thursday, October 20, 2005

Teen Pregnancy

Lullah was pissed when I picked her up after dance line practice this afternoon.

There are 3 girls pregnant at her high school of 250ish students. They are of course a topic of much discussion. That's what she was pissed about.

Prior to practice the dance line members were visiting and topic A was the pregnant girls. Apparently they got ripped on by the girls. The general feel was that they (the preggies) should be ashamed, how embarrassed the dance line girls would be if they were in their position, etc. This is a touchy subject for Lullah (and me). I was almost 5 months pregnant when the husband and I got married.

I've always been honest about it with Lullah. She knows how hard it was. She knows that I've been the topic of conversations that probably went very much like the one she sat in for this afternoon. One of the things she said was that it pissed her off that no one was gossiping about the fathers of said babies. No one said they should be ashamed or embarrassed.

I wish I had easy answers for her.

In a perfect world those girls wouldn't be pregnant. It would be slutty for boys to sleep around-not just boys being boys. In a perfect world girls wouldn't revel in one another's misfortune. In a perfect world people wouldn't revel in one another's misfortune.

All I can tell her is this. Sometimes the road we intended to travel is detoured. What we do on that detour is up to us.

No comments: