Friday, October 14, 2005

Little Fat Man in Suspenders; or A Crazy Mother's Diatribe

That's the dance line that Lullah is on. Cuties aren't they? They are all really sweet girls, too.

My cerebral fluid is leaking out of my ears after the day I've had. The assistant principal informed the sponsor after last weeks pep rally that the girls looked "awful" and if they weren't going to put any more effort into their performances then they didn't need to dance. Well, considering that Lullah choreographed said routine, I thought I handled this bit of info rather gracefully. I bit my tongue. Until today.

I went to the school. I was honestly hoping he'd been misquoted. He hadn't been. He said that they looked like they had thrown the dance together the day before. Y'all I was at the pep rally. I taped it. I think we saw two different dances. I agree, not one of their best performances, but awful and thrown together- our paths diverge there. He said he expected perfection and excellence. Period. Hmm?

There are two girls on the squad that have NEVER had any dance instruction of any kind. There are only 2 girls who are currently in any kind of dance class (Lullah is one of them). You'd think they'd kind of stink, but they don't. Now I don't think many of them are going to be Rockettes anytime soon, but they really do look good.

In addition-some of the students have booed them (also the cheerleaders and band) at every pep rally prior to them performing. School spirit ain't exactly high on everyone's list apparently.

The conversation went something like this.

Me- the fact that they get out there at all after that, much less perform well is amazing. Do you give the football team the same "if you aren't going to put 100% effort out" after they lose ? *I also mentioned the skill level of some of the girls, they are honestly doing their best*
Him- "no, they have 11 other guys pounding them"
Me-the girls have a people booing them.
Him-that's different.

Um, yeah. It is, it's meaner and pretty damn cruel. And the staff hasn't done anything to stop it.

Me- I would think that y'all would applaud the effort the girls put into the dance line. All of them are honor roll students, most do some sort of volunteer stuff. This is how they choose to spend their extra time. Not making loops in town, smoking pot, and staying drunk. *which BTW a lot of the kids here do* They practice 2 1/2 hours M-Th. They learn 2 new dances each week. ALL of which except 3 (out of 12) Lullah has gotten music for and choreographed. (while maintaining a 4.0)
Him-well I'll talk to them.

Y'all the conversation went on like this for about 15 minutes.

So I also needed to talk to the sponsor about Lullah having to do all of the dances. The actual Captain has taught 1 dance. One some of them had already learned at camp. The other two-one was a camp dance (Lullah taught that one) the other was one that they had choreographed by a local dance teacher for a competition dance at camp. She was up until midnight Tuesday finishing the pep rally dance for this week.

It just didn't go well either. Her solution was for LULLAH to refuse to do the dance and let the other girl fall on her face. Not to discuss it with the girl herself. Lullah was there and said, "but I'm afraid we'll look bad". The sponsor said "well maybe then she'd take it more seriously" I also wanted tell her that I'd talked to the assistant principal. I was frustrated, but at least we'd talked about it so I felt a little better.

Well I pick Lullah up this afternoon. She's PISSED! He talked to them alright. Told them if they weren't going to put their hearts into it 100% then HE wouldn't let them dance AT ALL. That they were responsible for school spirit. (umm, cheerleaders??) They should have been embarrassed Friday. WWHHHAAAT?!!!

I don't even know what to do at this point. Lullah said "he's just a stupid little fat man wearing suspenders" I'm inclined to agree.

No comments: