Monday, December 19, 2005

Not very sweet at all...

Yesterday morning sucked. Lullah came into the kitchen and asked for some orange juice because her blood sugar was low. She was shaky and pale.

After 16 ounces of orange juice we checked her blood sugar. It was 34. SHIIIIIT! was the word that my mind was screaming. We get nervous when it gets below 70. We treat it immediately if it's below 65. 34 is seriously low. Seizure low. Holy crap low. I managed to stay calm and got the glucagon injection just in case she actually seized. She was shaking all over, she does this weird head jerk thing when she's super low. It's extremely scary.

After more orange juice and some graham crackers she was finally 90. She was also nauseated and exhausted. When she gets low it completely wipes her out.

Once the crisis had passed she said to me "I hate this shit."

I concur.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Ryan,
Thanks for the pep talk. We've been dealing with Lullah's diabetes since she was 8, she's now 15. You're right, the episodes aren't as scary as they were in the early days. But it's still such a helpless feeling to sit and wait for her levels to come up to normal. I don't think I will ever get used to it.

Thankfully, we've never had the parmedics or ambulances over. We've been fortunate in that arena. We've been able to take care of things at the house or been able to stabilize her enough to get her to the ER ourselves. Same thing with Mike (my hubbie). He was hospitlized at diagnosis and only one ER trip in 13 years.

Glad you stopped by. Thanks again for the pep talk.

MamaKBear said...

Bless her heart! Give her a hug for me, mmmkay?

And here's a hug for you
(((((((((KIM)))))))))))

Thinking of you.