Monday, December 05, 2005

My Dad called this morning...

and he was telling me about a funeral he attended Saturday.

One of his friend's sister lived in the 9th ward in New Orleans and had been missing since the flood. She had decided to not evactuate. Like a lot of people, she'd evacuated before for what had ended up being a false alarm. And like a lot of people she felt the levees would be fine. Noone had heard from her since the night before the hurricane. Her son had went back about a month ago to look for her again, but found no sign of her. The family was in limbo and worried.

A week ago, they went back and did a more thorough check. They found her remains in her attic. She most likely drowned there.

I can't imagine a death like that.

In the midst of all the rhetoric and finger pointing that's happening down there we can't forget that real people died. There are still people searching for their loved ones.

2 comments:

thatfarmgirl said...

That's right. People died in the storm and we can never, ever forget them or what has happened to that beautiful city. I'm so sorry to read about that poor lady.

thatfarmgirl said...

Kim - I'm curious as to what small town you are from in LA. I grew up in a small town just outside of NOLA and it was that exact attitude of "them vs. us" (meaning Small Town LA vs. New Orleans) that prompted me to leave 21 years ago!